Unfortunately, not every case can be resolved in the pre-suit stage and litigation becomes necessary. Robinson, Pecaro & Mier has the advantage of having skilled trial lawyers on hand that are able to ensure a seamless transition from the pre-suit stage to the litigation stage.
One of the most cost-effective ways to handle a claim is to achieve resolution during the pre-suit stage. Robinson Pecaro & Mier maintains three separate departments focused on achieving pre-suit claims resolution, as outlined below.
- Probate administration including the administration of estates involving wrongful death. In cases where the decedent’s family has not had an estate, Robinson Pecaro & Mier is experienced in setting up an estate for the claimant/deceased in order to have a personal representative appointed and properly administer the estate. The firm identifies creditors, makes an equitable distribution of any settlement funds and/or estate assets, and coordinates the probate filings. The transaction is handled in a timely, ethical, and professional manner and to assist the families through a difficult process during a difficult time.
- Friendly suit petitions for minors. When an unrepresented minor is injured in an accident or loses a parent in a negligence claim, the law firm can request court approval to work with a guardian. A settlement fund is established using the proceeds provided when the insurance company tenders the policy, and the law firm sets up a trust and payment plan in accordance with relevant guidelines on how and when funds can be dispersed.
- Complex multiple claimants, high exposure, and time limit
demands. Claims often involve multiple parties in a case with a relatively low policy limit, such as four claimants covered by a policy with a maximum limit of $10,000. Robinson Pecaro & Mier negotiates separately with each party during the pre-suit stage with a goal of resolving the case for the policy limit.>Not every case is suitable for pre-suit settlement. When litigation becomes necessary, the trial lawyers at Robinson Pecaro & Mier strive to achieve a seamless transition from a pre-suit status to the litigation stage.
Motor Vehicle Litigation
The attorneys at Robinson Pecaro & Mier have been defending insurance carriers in motor vehicle claims for almost 30 years. All aspects of motor vehicle litigation are handled by the firm, including:
- Bad faith exposure
- Bodily injury
- Catastrophic injury
- Examinations Under Oath (EUO)
- Personal injury protection (PIP)
- Property damage
- Punitive damages
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist claims
- Wrongful death
The potential for fraudulent claims is always considered. Members of the firm look closely for any evidence of staged accidents, theft rings, excessive medical treatment, or arson. When fraud is suspected during the claims submission process, team members with SIU experience are ready to take recorded statements or schedule
Robinson Pecaro & Mier has extensive experience in trying cases where bad faith allegations have been made. Our lawyers appreciate the issues from the perspective of both the insured and the carrier.
Robinson Pecaro & Mier attorneys have extensive experience representing retailers, restaurants, hotels, shopping malls, supermarkets, and other commercial property owners in premises liability claims.
The types of premises liability claims handled by the firm include but are not limited to:
- Slip and falls
- Negligent security
- Liquor liability or dram shop actions
- Negligent hiring or retention of employees
- Inadequate lighting
- Defective premises
The firm works quickly when an injury is alleged to document the scene, preserve evidence, and validate injury claims. Medical, engineering, and safety experts are consulted when needed to help build a compelling defense.
Robinson Pecaro & Mier handles immigration law matters, including but not limited to immigration cases involving insurance defense issues.
Medical Expense Management
Medical expenses often represent a significant portion of the financial liability under a personal lines claim involving an auto accident, slip and fall, or an injury under a homeowners policy.
Members of the firm always analyze large healthcare invoices submitted under a policy with great attention to detail. Questions commonly asked by the firm when evaluating medical expenses include:
- What are the reasonable and customary costs for the procedure?
- Is the procedure medically necessary?
- Is the recommended treatment accepted or controversial?
- What is the effectiveness of a recommended treatment?
This type of analysis can be productive when applied against expensive treatments that are difficult to value and assess, such as spinal fusion surgery, stem cell treatments, human allograft tissue implants, or bone marrow aspiration.
Continuing Education Courses
Starting with a team philosophy, Robinson Pecaro & Mier provides educational opportunities for clients and their claims professionals. Certified continuing education courses are offered on annual basis, with a focus on topics that help clients anticipate and resolve issues before they arise. The firm strives to keep clients informed and knowledgeable about current developments in the law.A list of course options appears below. Some topics are approved for continuing education credit by the Florida Department of Financial Services.
- Follow the Money: Approaches to Attacking Unreasonableness of Medical Billing
- 1, 2, 3s of Ethics and Balancing Good and Bad Faith Duties
- Estate Administration in Auto Liability Cases
- Excessive Medical Billing
- Pre-Suit Insurance Defense: Overview and Pitfalls
- Stem Cell Use in Spinal Column Surgeries
- Structure of Claim from Pre-Suit to Litigation
- Discerning Reasonableness of Medical Treatment and Procedures
Additional topics are available on request, consistent with the firm’s goal to keep clients informed and knowledgeable about current developments in the law.